The Pioneers

The Gander Beacon and other newspapers have been over the years publishing interviews on many of the original residents that arrived at the Newfoundland Airport in the late 1930's. Their stories below have been documented with the cooperation of these newspapers.

It all started at Mile Post 213 on the trans Newfoundland Railway, better know in those days as Hattie's Camp.

These are some of the Pioneers of Gander from the 1930's

top return to top